Lesson 6 [Tue., 10th Dec. 2013]

Topics discussed UNIT 3
Vocabulary: metaphors with the word cold  (p35); words to describe statistics (p36)
Grammar: so & such (p34); conditional sentences (p37, p93, p94)

Basically, in English there are four conditionals:

ZERO CONDITIONAL to talk about a general situation, or something which is always true.
If you heat ice, it melts.
IF-CLAUSE: PRESENT TENSE
MAIN CLAUSE: PRESENT TENSE

Using this conditional suggests that we are 100% sure of the result.

FIRST CONDITIONAL to talk about possible situations in the future and their consequences.
If I study, I will pass the exam.
This situation takes place if a certain condition is met. It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.
IF-CLAUSE: PRESENT TENSE
MAIN CLAUSE: FUTURE TENSE

SECOND CONDITIONAL to talk about improbable situations in the present or future or imaginary situations.
If I bought a car like this, everyone would admire me. (I don't intend to buy the car - it's not going to happen!)
If I were you, I would plant some trees in your garden. (but I'm not you — this is unreal!)
IF-CLAUSE: PAST SIMPLE
MAIN CLAUSE:  WOULD + INFINITIVE or COULD + INFINITIVE or MIGHT + INFINITIVE
                           
THIRD CONDITIONAL to talk about a past condition that is impossible be fulfilled (too late!)
If I had studied harder, I would have passed the exam. (I failed the exam, because I didn't study hard enough.)
IF-CLAUSE: PAST PERFECT
MAIN CLAUSE:  WOULD + HAVE + INFINITIVE or COULD + HAVE + INFINITIVE or MIGHT + HAVE + INFINITIVE

Things to remember:
1. The conditional sentences are formed in two steps. First, decide if you’re talking about a real or an unreal situation. Then, choose the correct tense. There are two choices: the present-future or the past.
2. Often the condition comes before the consequence, but sometimes the consequence comes first.
  • When the condition comes first, it is followed by a comma. e.g. If you don’t water plants, they die.
  • When the consequence comes first, we don’t use a comma. e.g. Plants die if you don’t water them.
3. In conditional type 2, we usually use in the if-clause were instead of was even if the pronoun is I, he, she or it, especially when we write. It is more formal!

Homework for Tue., 17th December 2013
  • Study your notes.
  • Study «Grammar Focus» Unit 3 (page 136) and do #3-5 on page 137 on a separate sheet of paper.
  • Study «Grammar Focus» Unit 8 (page 146) and do #2 and 4 on page 147 on a separate sheet of paper.
  • Do # 1-2 (Vocabulary) on page 41 on a separate sheet of paper.